About Me

My photo
Welcome to my blog! I am blessed to be a first grade teacher at a wonderful school in Jacksonville Florida. I graduated from the University of North Florida in December of 2009 and I have been in the classroom since January 2010. I am a Pittsburgh girl at heart but I have loved spending the last 8 years of my life in Jacksonville! I enjoy spending my weekends at the beach with friends, or reading a good book at home. Last year I adopted a puppy from the Humane Society and I couldn't love her any more! She is a hound mix named Leigha. She loves to take naps while I pinterest and do school work :)

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Making Connections

Reader's Workshop was about connections today. I've already accepted that we're going to have to cut back on the connection lessons (there are so many good ones!) since making connections isn't in our new Common Core Standards. BUT it's so important for children to think about and talk about books! Encouraging your child to share their reading connections helps them understand what is happening, relate to the character, and make predictions. The story (aka text) should be the "heart" of their connection, always referring back to it in their connection.

I posted a few pictures at the bottle, one of our chart and a two "action" shots of work time today. We read the story A Day at School (there was NO CHANCE someone couldn't connect to this story!) and filled in the response sheet!

Great pictures right!? No I didn't get the new iPhone... (sigh) I just brought in my iPad. The purpose for bringing it today was to start reading our new read aloud story, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by Frank Baum. I scored this book for free from iBooks :)

I loved that I could project my iPad screen up on the whiteboard so students can follow along as I read :)

We also had a chance to listen to an interactive app/book with Grover called "The Monster at the End of this Book" I bet your child can retell that story to you!!! -- The book was free app from codes at Starbucks :) LOVE freebies!!

**** Here's a chance for your child to get a freebie from ME!! ****

If your child retold the story "The Monster at the End of this Book" to you, please leave a quick note in their daily folder saying that they told you about the story and they will earn a special treat :)

It sure would be nice to have iPads for all the kids... they get so excited when they see me bring that thing out!! One day right??

No comments:

Post a Comment