About Me

My photo
Welcome to my blog! I am blessed to be a first grade teacher at a wonderful school in Jacksonville Florida. I graduated from the University of North Florida in December of 2009 and I have been in the classroom since January 2010. I am a Pittsburgh girl at heart but I have loved spending the last 8 years of my life in Jacksonville! I enjoy spending my weekends at the beach with friends, or reading a good book at home. Last year I adopted a puppy from the Humane Society and I couldn't love her any more! She is a hound mix named Leigha. She loves to take naps while I pinterest and do school work :)

Friday, October 19, 2012

New Spelling Routine-- starts MONDAY



First off I want to say thank you, the first week of spelling homework was a success!! Most students completed all their assignments and it reflects in their test grade! You will get their test back in their Friday folder next week.
The turning in of spelling homework was kind of a mess, so I have decided to provide a spelling notebook to complete all written homework in. This will help cut down on making copies of the activity sheet, and also and the loose papers being turned in on Fridays. I apologize for not having these ready last week but I feel that it’s still early enough in the year to make the change.
Your child will still pick 4 activities each week, and complete one nightly from the activity sheet, but now all written work will be kept in one place all year. Please follow these guidelines to complete spelling homework each week:
1.       Turn to the first “empty” page in your journal.
2.     Pick your activity from Box 1. (the activity list has been glued to the inside front cover of the notebook)
3.     Find your spelling list in the back of your homework folder (same place as before)
4.     Write the date and the spelling list number at the top of your page.
5.     Complete spelling activity (use the back of the page if you need more room!)
6.     Have your parent initial somewhere on the page to show you did your best work. (Parents will initial the pages, NOT the activity page glued on the front of the notebook)
7.     Leave all spelling pages inside the notebook (DO NOT tear the pages out).
Repeat this two more times during the week. Please only do one activity per page, but you can use the backs of the pages for the next activity if they are “empty”. When you do your activity from box 2, simply write what you did at the bottom (or on the back) of one of your pages from this week and have your parents sign.
Bring your notebook in every Friday for the teacher to look over before the test.
I will be making the notebooks this weekend so they will be ready for next week’s spelling words. I will be explaining the new routine to the students on Monday and we’ll do a practice page so you can see what I am expecting for the spelling homework assignments.

Please contact me if you have any questions!

No comments:

Post a Comment